featured-image

NASCAR Changes All Star Race Format – Details Below

NASCAR is listening, race fans. The stock car racing sanctioning body announced today ...

NASCAR is listening, race fans. The stock car racing sanctioning body announced today along with Charlotte Motor Speedway that the upcoming Monster Energy NASCAR All Star Race will feature a few significant changes when the racers roll into Charlotte on the weekend of May 19th for the annual shootout. The event doesn’t count toward the season points totals, but does pay out a cool million dollars to the winner, so to say it still matters is an understatement.

The most obvious change for fans will affect the cars’ appearances, with the competition package being chosen from last year’s NASCAR Xfinity series race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This will include a six inch tall spoiler with 12″ tall ears, aero ducts and the splitter from 2014. This package, along with the use of a restrictor plate, was responsible for a record number of lead changes which obviously made for more exciting racing for the fans.

“NASCAR is committed to innovation and will always work to improve the racing product for every series and venue. The yearly Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race is an opportunity to see your favorite drivers compete under a unique and exciting format and rules package,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR executive vice president and chief racing development officer. “The positive feedback following last year’s Xfinity Series race at Indianapolis gave us the foundation to implement this dynamic package for the All-Star Race. We believe the hard work of the entire industry will provide the best race for our passionate fans.”

There are also some changes to the race procedure itself involving the stages. “The All-Star Race has a long history of edginess and innovation. We want to challenge drivers, spark on-track action and create the best show for the fans,” said Marcus Smith, president and CEO of Speedway Motorsports, Inc. “This race has always been a proving ground for some of the best innovations in our sport, from running under the lights to stage racing and double-file restarts. It’s the perfect opportunity to try something different, and with a 10-lap shootout for a million dollars, expect the unexpected on May 19.”

The stages will be 30 laps, two twenty lap stages, then a final ten lap shootout to decide the winner. The field for the 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race will be open to Monster Energy Series race winners in 2017 and 2018, any former all-star race winners who are currently competing full time, any former Monster Energy Series champions who are following the full schedule, and of course the winner of each of the three stages of the Monster Energy Open, and the winner of the 2018 Fan Vote.
As of today, the following drivers are eligible to compete: Ryan Blaney, Clint Bowyer, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Austin Dillon, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Larson, Joey Logano, Jamie McMurray, Ryan Newman, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Martin Truex Jr.

We can’t wait to see how these changes work out, as the should definitely make for some awesome side-by-side racing!





Premium Partners

Speed Society partner MichelinSpeed Society partner Mustant DynoSpeed Society partner Zero To SixtySpeed Society partner VP Racing FuelsSpeed Society partner K&N FiltersSpeed Society partner ADRLSpeed Society partner RJSSpeed Society partner Holley LS Fest West

Interested in becoming a partner? Contact us for more info.